Sunday, April 6, 2008

Sense and Sensibility

Movie: Sense and Sensibility (PBS)
Like/Don't Like: Like. Dual or no dual.

Now, we all know that the reason why I started this blog was because I have a very pathetic memory. I can read a book 10 times and still not remember specific things that happen in it, even a week later. It's embarrassing but I've learned to live with it. Occasionally, someone, usually Katie, will mention a scene in a book or a movie and I'll nod my head and hmm wisely like I totally remember it but what I'm actually doing is stalling for time while the wee little pixies in my brain start uncovering layers of useless facts to get to that particular memory. You see, it's in there, it's just overwhelmed by information like the proper ration of oatmeal to water (1:2) and what the capital of Slovenia is (Llubljana).

Which made this adaption a little frustrating for me. I don't want to give you the wrong idea, because I really liked it. The actors were good and nicely cast, the scenery, music, and costumes were perfect. And it was a two-parter, which, in theory, I'm opposed to, but in this case, it's what I've been praying for since the very beginning of the whole Jane Austen on PBS thing started. But there were a lot of liberties taken. Or, at least, I think there were a lot because even though I've read the book 3 or 4 times, as recently as a year ago even, I can't for the life of me remember if half the things that happened in the movie actually happened in the book. But the whole time I had the suspicion that they hadn't. I can rattle off European capitals on demand but I can't remember whether or not Marianne went with Willoughby to Cum Magnum. Did she? Oh, who knows.

Even if Andrew Davies did make up everything I can't fault him too much because it really was a good movie. Sure, they had a few too many shots of the turbulent sea and maybe this Edward Ferris was more lucid and charming than we all know him to be. But like I'm going to complain about a guy being charming. I think you'll like it.

Fascinating side note: After it ended I went on imdb to see what the actors (specifically Lucy Steele)(She was Mrs. Beeton) had all been in and every one that I clicked on had been in a Mrs. Marple Mystery. I think it must be the British equivalent of Law and Order.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you liked it, because right now it's taking up 2 precious hours on my DVR, and I was debating whether it was worth watching before making room for this week's Dancing With the Stars. So I'll watch it. And isn't imdb great? Especially when you watch a lot of British movies and you swear you've seen that guy in something but you can't quite place it.

Anonymous said...

Okay, I just watched it, and I read the book like 3 years ago and am like you, where I can't really remember details, but I do remember a few things. First of all, Marianne does go with Willoughby to Allenum, but in the book she actually meets the esteemed aunt, who loves her. And I do remember there being a lot more people in the book than in the Emma Thompson version, like Sir John's being married with a bunch of kids. I didn't mind Edward at all. He was steamy. I like Hugh Grant, but it's nice to see a fresh face. And in the book, you get a better idea of what a snake Lucy Steele is throughout the whole book. The one in this production was much too sweet and pretty. I like that in the Emma Thompson version she looks a little like a rat and has fuzzy hair. Easier to dislike her. And Willoughby wasn't dashing enough to me. But I did like it. It almost made me want to reread the book. But I don't think I will right now.