Saturday, May 29, 2010

Just Wright

Movie:  Just Wright
Like/Don't Like:  Just Wrong

You know how people who go through traumatic events together share a special lifelong bond?  War buddies and survivors of plane crashes - those types.  So no matter how far apart they are or how many years separate them from the event they still can call each other up and say, "Hey, remember that time we were marooned on an island?"

Well, I had my Band of Brothers experience tonight with 8 other girls watching this movie.  We all went out to celebrate Camille's birthday and had a grand time at dinner before hand.  We were giggly and full and relieved we weren't in line for Sex and the City II, where there appeared to be a skanky dress and laughably inappropriate-for-a-movie-theater high heel shoes dress code going on.  And it's a Queen Latifah movie, and well, I think she's great.  I mean, she doesn't really have a wide range or anything but she plays sassy really well, and we all know how much I love the sass. 

It all seemed so promising.

And then Common came on.  He played the man who's suppose to fall in love with her - and that would have been fine and believable except that a.) they had sub-zero chemistry and b.) he has sub-zero acting skills.  I know that Common is a rapper but I've never heard any of his music.  But based strictly on his acting abilities, he had better stick with his day job.  Knights of Columbus, he was BAD!  Painfully bad.  Awkwardly bad.  There were moments when I had to avert my eyes because I was so embarrassed that he was so bad.  And it was slow.  And long.  And Paula Patton had freaky teeth, like her dentist just laid a set of veneers over her original teeth, thus making them too big for her mouth.  It was distracting.  But also a relief because then I could focus on them instead of how crappy the movie was.

At the end of it we all gathered in the lobby and stood in stunned silence over what we had experienced - knowing that this would be the day that forged our friendship forever.

2 comments:

Wendy said...

Oh, I've had a moment like that after a movie before. Ask Katie about the first weekend I ever hung out with her and that terrible Minnie Driver movie "Beautiful" or something like that. Terribly bonding. And I mean terribly.

Anonymous said...

"Just Wright"
I thought the movie was a nice modern day love story. I do agree that Paula Patton's teeth were freaky! Very distracting....