Saturday, November 26, 2011

The Muppets

Movie:  The Muppets
Like/Don't Like:  Would you trust someone who didn't like this movie?  Me neither.

I think it's impossible to not love the Muppets.  Especially if you're my age and you grew up watching the Muppet Show and Sesame Street.  If you combine them with Mickey Mouse Disco, Thrify's ice cream cones, and a Big Wheel it would pretty much encapsulate all the glorious parts of my childhood. (When, WHEN, I ask you, will they create a grown-up sized Big Wheel? I want one more than I want a Slurpee machine.)

So this movie was a no-brainer.  It was bound to be great.  It was nostalgic (I got chills when they did the intro to the old Muppet Show and welled up when they sang Rainbow Connection) and still riffed on modern pop culture, as they have always excelled at doing.  And it was corny and funny and not a bit ironic or snarky.  Miss Piggy looked glamorous even as she karate chopped someone, Fozzie wore fart shoes, there were subtitles for the Swedish chef, celebrities made cameos, and Kermit played the banjo.  Basically it was everything you want from a Muppet movie. 

3 comments:

Erika said...

So glad you liked it. I plan to see it soon with my hubby, and actually not with the kids! :)

Amanda said...

I'm hoping we can still be friends, but I've never liked the muppets. That question was not on the friend application, so I'm thinking after all these years, I should grandfather in on that requirement. Glad you enjoyed it.

Rach said...

I am dying to go see it, but will most likely have to wait until it's on DVD. But I will for sure see, now that it has the Rachel approval stamp on it.