Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Graceling

Book:  Graceling
Author:  Kristin Cashore
Like/Don't Like:  Loved!  I couldn't put it down.  Hooray!

This was what I needed.  It's been a lackluster year of reading for me.  I just haven't been taken with a book in a long time.  So this book was the perfect thing to read at the end of the year to leave me with the Blue Bird of Happiness in my literary heart.

Katsa lives in a land where a small percentage of the people are born with special talents or skills - graced.  Hers happens to be that she can kill people.  She doesn't relish in it. In the course of the book she meets another graceling who helps her understand her skill better and they go off and save a few people.  The writing is fantastic.  It zips along and keeps you wanting more. The characters seem believable enough - especially for a fantasy novel, which I often times find hard to stomach. And it was a great story told well, which all I ever want from a book.

4 comments:

Rach said...

I just requested it from the library. I usually get right on it when you say you love a book. And you know I'm a fantasy junkie, so I'm guaranteed to like this one.

Rach said...

I brought it home from the library, opened it up, and realized that it was in Spanish. So I just returned the Spanish version and the English version is sitting on my desk, begging to be read. Moral of the story: check the call no. If it starts with spa, you're going to need to speak Spanish. Oops.

Erin said...

I loved this book as well...and I liked the second book in the series. I thought the third one was a cop out. It seems to me that almost every series I start turns out this way!

Rach said...

I read it, and liked it a lot. It reminded me of Sharon Shinn, which I think you've read. If you haven't read her stuff, give it a try and tell me what you think. Start with Archangel. I liked Graceling. I didn't know there were more in the series. Now I'm getting back onto the library website to find them. :)