Tuesday, July 1, 2008

The Golden Compass

Movie: The Golden Compass
Like/Don't Like: Not Really

You may recall that I read the series and was disappointed. I didn't let it stop me from watching the movie though because I knew that the issues I had with the books would not be in the movie. And I LOVED the first book. It was so adventurous and fun. Which made watching the movie also disappointing. The adventure just didn't translate.

Is it just me or do you think that CGI is ruining movies? I think that directors spend way too much time these days coming up with the most eye-popping whiz-bang special effects and too little time on actually making a solid film with a good script and good acting. The movie got all the essential plot points from the book in but it completely missed the mark on the heart of it. I was bored through most of it, which is a shame because I nearly had a heart-attack from the the excitement it generated from reading it.

No comments: