Thursday, April 26, 2012

Wonderstruck

Book:  Wonderstruck
Author:  Brian Selznik
Like/Don't Like:  Loved. 

This is by the same author as The Invention of Hugo Cabert and it is done in the same style of prose and pictures.  If you haven't read that one yet you must.  Trust your friend.  I think it's such a beautiful way to tell a story. 

This story was simpler than Hugo's but it still captured my attention from the very beginning.  It follows two children, Ben who is living in Minnesota in the 70s and Rose who lives in New York in the 20s and both end up spending a lot of time at the NY Natural History Museum.  You know that their stories will connect somehow but it's still very nice getting to that point.

I love how simple the stories are. The pictures aren't anything magnificent but he has a gift of putting little details in each one that are delightful.  And I think it's great that he uses real places and events to build a story around. 

I made the mistake of starting this at around 11 at night, thinking that I would read a few pages and finish it the next day.  By 1 (yes, it does move that quickly) I was done and enchanted.

No comments: