Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Cairo Time

Movie:  Cairo Time
Like/Don't Like:  Like

I watched this on my way home from Tunisia and it reflected my own experience in an arab country that I was bound to like it.  I don't know how I would feel if it didn't seem so familiar but we all judge movies by what we know.

Patricia Clarkson plays a magazine editor who is in Egypt to meet her husband, a UN official who is stuck fixing a problem in the Gaza Strip.  He sends his Egyptian friend to pick her up from the airport and show her around the city until he gets there.  I was a little nervous that this would turn into an adulterous tale, which I hate, but it just skims the surface.  It's really about how these two people connect in and through the city.  It's a very quiet movie, and at times a bit slow but worth watching.

No comments: