Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Get Low

Movie:  Get Low
Like/Don't Like:  Like

I watched this on the flight from Rome to New York, which, for the record, is a very long flight, so I don't know if it was a lack of sleep of my giddiness on returning home, but this one really got to me. 

It's based on the true story of a recluse who staged his own funeral so he could be there to hear the stories people told of him.  Which is a genius idea, by the way.  Wouldn't we all love to do that?

I love Robert Duvall in this.  Really, I love him in anything, but he played this guy with so much humanity.  I loved it.  Bill Murray was a little wrong for the part.  He seemed from another time period all together.  But I have a hard time not adoring Bill Murray so we'll just drop it.  There were some really beautiful moments to this story and I was really touched by how it unfolded.  So much so that I started to cry and my seat mates, Maureen and Al, were a little concerned.  But Al ended up watching it a few hours later and loved it too.

1 comment:

The Katzbox said...

I'm going to NetFlix right now. Bill Murray? Duvall? Color me "gone"!