Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Ticket to Ride

Game: Ticket to Ride
Like/Don't Like: I'm kind of addicted

That's right folks, I'm not just about the movies and the books. I give to you a game! I don't normally come across new games but I feel like ever since Chris joined the family we have be introduced to a bunch of new ones. If anyone knows games it's Chris Witt. He also knows all the rules. And all the sub-rules. And where in the rules to find the one rule that will spoil your plans for victory. He will even quote it for you. Chris has revolutionized the way we play games at the Knechts.

And this game, introduced to us by Gina and Chris, has revolutionized Sunday nights at the Knechts. Sunday nights have been the same for decades. Hamburgers for dinner, chit-chat around the table, a joke about dad not doing the dishes, sometimes we'll catch Andy Rooney on 60 minutes and comment on his glorious eyebrows, then popcorn. Now it has become hamburgers, Ticket to Ride, then popcorn. I think we've played it every Sunday night for 2 months.

It's a pretty simple concept. Here's the web-site if you want a visual. There's a map of the US (or other places depending on which game you have) with all sorts of train routes, like Chicago to LA or Boston to Nashville. You choose a few routes then you start building trains. The trick is to get your route before someone else takes it.

I'm truly surprised at how much I like this game. I don't really like games that involve too much strategy and this one does. So I thought I was going to hate it the first time I played but I was hooked right away. I love planning out the routes I want to take, and then planning contingency routes if they get taken, which they always are. It helps that it's a game with a map, which my family are suckers for. Another Sunday night tradition is for someone to ask a question about some place and my dad will say, "Let's pull out a map." Now we can pull out a map and possibly be a winner. Bonus!

5 comments:

Camille said...

Word! I'm a huge fan, and amazingly I'm really good at it too. :D

Maija said...

Also a big fan. Try the Europe edition, too. I like it even more.

Rach said...

I've never even heard of that game. We're always on the lookout for fun games. I'll have to get it for us for Christmas!

AJ said...

I do love this game. Did you get the expansion so you can acutally have large cards? Love, love, love this game.

Andrea said...

Andrew talks about this game all the time and I've never heard of it before. Now that I know you like it so much maybe I'll give it a try.