Wednesday, September 7, 2011

84 Charing Cross Road

Book:  84 Charing Cross Road
Author:  Helene Hanff
Like/Don't Like:  Loved.  So loved.

Katie, remembering my love for the movie, found a copy of the book at the going-out-of-business sale at Borders this afternoon and brought it home to me.  Within an hour it was read and wept over. 

This slim volume of a decades long correspondence between an American writer and a British bookseller is in every way a charmer.  Helene is spunky and sassy and loves books.  And Frank has that dry British wit that kills me.  It is so sweet to see their friendship develop over the years.  It made me wish I had a long running correspondence with someone.  Any takers?

1 comment:

Rach said...

Um, remember our long term correspondence? Maybe we should start writing paper letters to each other. I still have all the emails you sent me when I was newly married. They are a treasure.