Friday, September 2, 2011

Angels and Demons

Movie:  Angels and Demons
Like/Don't Like:  Rome - like.  History lesson and icky things - don't like.

Wait, didn't this movie come out like a gajillion years ago?  Right.  It did.  But it takes me a while to get around to things.  I'm the late bloomer of movie watching.

Anyway, this movie would have been a little unbearable for me had it not been set in Rome.  I love Rome.  Have I told you that?  I've been to so few places in the world but Rome is one of them and, I don't know, maybe it was all the gelato and pasta I ate, but I think it's a magical place.  Nearly every scene was set somewhere I'd strolled through and at the end I called up my traveling companion Cynde and screamed, "Have you seen Angels and Demons?  That scene where the priest gets burned alive? It's in the chapel we were nearly killed in front of by a speeding yellow Ferrari being chased by the police!"

But that, my friends, was its only redeeming quality for me.  Fond memories of gelato and near death experiences.  It also stirred up other memories - the ones from when I read the Davinci Code and said out loud on multiple occasions, "ENOUGH, you enormous wind bag!"  Because if Robert Langdon isn't the most insufferable character out there, I don't know who is.  Nobody likes a no-it-all.  It was one thing in a book to expound upon everything, because information needs to be given and there's plenty of time and space to give it in.  But it's a joke in a movie.  When the only dialogue there is consists entirely of information to catch you up on the Illuminati, arcane Catholic protocol, and ancient religious shenanigans, the movie is going to struggle.  Plus, it was predictable.  I guessed the bad guy from the start.  And many of the plot points in between.

But oh, those memories of gelato.  Let's all go to Rome!

1 comment:

Rach said...

I'm with you on Rome. And on the lameness of Langdon as a character. And the grossness. I'm not in love with the books or the movies.